Pages

Friday, 17 April 2015

6 happy things





I'm in annoyingly chirpy mode at the moment. I've had my yearly shot of vitamin D, and though I've got some slightly anxious making changes upcoming I'm feeling kind of invincible right now. Which is nice, cos I haven't felt invincible for months! Some other things making me happy at the moment..
.
1) People
I have a list of, like, 10 people who I would hide a body for. Obviously, I can't tell you who they are here, because plausible deniability is a thing. But I've managed to see a good proportion of them in the past few weeks (along with equally lovely people for whom I'd commit a lesser offence, I don't know, public indecency or something) and it makes me happy.

2) The deep focus playlist on spotify
Being on my computer can be a recipe for endless hours of mindlessly surfing buzzfeed and generally having my brain stolen through my eyes by click-bait monsters. The music on this playlist kind of feels like what would happen if you bunged a load of instruments in the ocean, gave the tide a consciousness, and told it to go wild. And I mean that in a good way. And it helps my wandering brain to sit down for a while and get on with whatever it needs to do. Hooray!

3) Revlon Lip Butter stuff
You know a make up product is going to be good / make you constantly hungry when it comes in a shade called Candy Apple. This is a shiny little stick of joy that you can use in public without getting arrested. And it makes your lips soft*. I am sold. But I did wear it to work and startled my manager into saying 'Oh, what's going on, you're wearing red lipstick?'. So don't wear it around the easily alarmed, unless you're ready to startle.



4) Louis Theroux
Ohmyword, how wonderful is Louis? I have a strong suspicion that about 70% of the world's diplomatic crises could be solved by flying in Louis Theroux and allowing his awkward charm to work its magic. So in a way, it's super irresponsible of me to keep giving an audience to his TV shows when he should be busy saving the world and stuff. But he's making shows again! Hooray! Did you see the wee transgender girl gieing it laldy to Lady Gaga on the transgender kids one? Adorable. Louis Theroux documentaries have a way of highlighting the humanity behind 'issues'. Perhaps happy isn't the right descriptor here, since the 'By Reason of Insanity' ones in particular were difficult to watch in places. But I could say I'm happy to live in a time and place where I can turn on a box in my living room to get an insight into the lives and stories of people who I would never otherwise meet. And also watch Come Dine With Me: it's a win-win really.

5) Nachos
What cheese isn't yours? Nacho cheese!
I dread to think about the health prospects of a meal that is basically crisps covered in cheese, but I make some Nachos that are so good they will blow your brains to a place where you can't even think about trans fats. Yeah.


6) San Pellegrino Blood Orange
I thought I had reached peak 'liquid summer' when I discovered that Belvoir Raspberry Lemonade stuff. Not so. Although 'Blood Orange' is a faintly offputting name, suggesting virgin citrus fruits being involved in sacrificial squeezings, the end product is undoubtedly delicious. Fizzy good blood of the orange. A culinary horror play coming to a kitchen near you soon.




*Although, to be quite honest, I have never met anyone with hard lips, regardless of how many lip products they own.

No comments:

Post a Comment