Pages

Friday, 13 March 2015

6 happy things


6 happy things flower


Because celebrating the little things means that I get celebrated. Also it's March, and we're still living in a damp cotton wool world. Also, I just opened a post by talking about THE WEATHER and therefore I need to cheer myself up.


1) Having butterflies on my head.

Some gorgeous butterfly hair clips fluttered into my life courtesy of Joss' sister. However, since the world seems intent on drizzling on me like a scorned lover until at least July, my hat is at the moment firmly welded to my head. SO the butterflies have taken pride of place on its brim, until such time as hatless weather appears. They make me feel a bit ( a lot) like Carmen Miranda, and my hat gets endless compliments on its new occupants, which always puts a spring in my step.

2) Having a litter tray with a lip on it

DON'T worry, I'm not going to foist a picture of my cat's litter tray on you, no matter what its sanitary state. Let me paint you a picture with words instead. You lucky things. Kitten is a very fastidious cat. That means he can spend hours (literally hours) of an evening, arranging each grain of litter just so in the tray. Previously this also meant decorating his vicinity liberally with litter that didn't make the cut. BUT NOW! We have acquired a litter tray with a lip round the edge, which means that Kitten can make his bathroom arrangements without covering the corridor in the process and this makes me ridiculously happy. Seriously. I never thought I'd get this much joy out of anything plastic.

3) Swimming

It's really annoying, isn't it, that the perky women with the shiny swinging ponytails are often right. They're right about drinking loads of water. They're right about the magical properties of peppermint tea. And they're right about the exercise. I'm at the moment trying to go swimming semi-regularly after the following conversation with my body:

Body: I want to be free!  I want to be chasing prey across sun baked plains and feeling the kiss of the wind on my face!
Me: Body, this is all very well but unfortunately we are built on roughly the same morphological lines as a Shetland pony. The only prey we can reliably outrun are snails, and they do not make good eating. Also,  we live in Scotland. The kiss of the wind is in reality a full blown snog that ruffles our hair and whacks us out of equilibrium for the rest of the day.
Body: buut that's not fai-
Me: I'll tell you what, I'll take you to a watering hole where you can thrash up and down and listen to the warbling of your fellow beasts. It's almost like being free, but with added blue plastic pool shoes.
Body: that'll do, ego. That'll do.

And it does make me feel a bit like I've been filled with liquid sunshine afterwards. They're right again. Damnit.

4) Peanut Hottie

Ahh this stuff is delicious. It's a hot peanut-butter drink and about 500 times better than that sounds. It's kind of slightly savoury and with quite a thick consistency and it still doesn't sound as wonderful as it is, but if you like peanut butter you need to try it. Also, I can drink it at night time and not worry about being up until 2am. Which is a winner.

5) Spring flowers

So at my Mum's house, seeing the snowdrops popping up when everything was grey and dreich was one of my favourite parts of the year. I have this theory that the reason time feels faster and faster is not just cos I'm getting old (sob) but also because living in a city, you don't see those great sweeping changes in your surroundings through the seasons. They're still there, just more subtle and sometimes hidden behind buildings. Anyway, Spring flowers popping up in the parks is one of those little reminders of the Earth dancing round the sun. I love that, and I love their little colourful faces nodding at me like I'm Alice in Wonderland instead of Anna on her Way to Work. There's a reason Lewis Carroll ditched the latter working title.

6) Crufts

OH MY WORD I bloody love Crufts. I do this *slightly* creepy thing sometimes where I go to the Park to watch all the doggies having fun with their humans, because dogs having fun is one of the happiest things in the world. Crufts not only legitimises this experience but brings it into my living room! All of the beautiful dogs to look at, and Clare Baldingses as well! Not only that, but the programme is endearingly batty, with some camp guy running around the stalls and trying on collars between the flyball classes. And the runner up flat coated retriever had his rosette in his mouth and looked like he was having the BEST. DAY. EVER. and I kind of wanted to be a flat coated retriever. If a programme can leave you envying the life of a dog and yet still leave you uplifted, you know it's a good un.

Go forth and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment